So you are considering home-based education for your child. You are not alone. Homeschooling numbers continue to rise with approximately 2.4 million students with no indication of slowing down.
Has your child come home crying because of bullying, or is your child getting behind in their studies because of the one size fits all teaching in the public classrooms? Has your child been threatened by another student?
A 2010 survey revealed the top four motivations among parents choosing to homeschool…
- CONCERN FOR THE SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
- DESIRE TO PROVIDE RELIGIOUS OR MORAL INSTRUCTION
- DISSATIFACTION WITH THE ACADEMIC INSTRUCTION
- CHILD HAS SPECIAL NEEDS/ HANDICAP
Choosing to homeschool your child is a major decision no matter what your reason is. But before finalizing your decision, you may want to consider the following….
1) Do you have the time? Will you be able to stay home and teach your child, possibly for several years depending on their age. It takes time, preparation, and discipline to have a positive homeschool experience.
2) Can you afford it? Will you be able to leave the workforce or continue as a stay at home mom to educate your child? Will you have enough money to purchase books and curriculum or will your choose the free curriculum and utilize your local library? Click this link for Arizona Connections Academy tuition-free online public school for K-12 https://www.learn4good.com/
3) Socialization…..are there homeschool support groups in your area? This will help your child to build friendships which can enrich the home education experience and create a strong, healthy, thriving homeschool community.
Homeschooling can be a very rewarding experience for you and your child. It can also be an unforgettable journey for the whole family. Click on this link to check out your state requirements as well as other helpful resources. https://www.afhe.org/