Now that you have made the decision to homeschool, you are excited and nervous all at the same time. Does that sound about right? You know that there are many things to consider to get ready for the school year, and you are wondering what you need to focus on first. Take a deep breath and we will explore these steps together…..
- State Laws- the first thing you should do is to find out what your state’s laws are for homeschooling. You can’t follow the laws if you don’t know what they are. Click on the link to find the laws in your state ( https://www.hslda.org/)
- Find a Support Group- support groups can provide opportunities and activities for your student.
- Homeschool Recordkeeping- record keeping requirements vary from state to state. It is also important to keep good records for you the parent, schools, colleges and universities. There are many record keeping tools available today….journals, programs, online options……just choose one that fits your style.
- Choose a curriculum- don’t let this step overwhelm you, but it will require some research. Since homeschooling students have been increasing every year, there are so many options to choose from. What type of curriculum best fits you and your child. What do you want your child to learn? Are you interested in Christian curriculum? The great news is you get to choose.
- Set a Schedule- this varies from family to family. You could have set hours each day for teaching similar to traditional schools or maybe you want to have flexible scheduling and conduct school time when the working parent at their job. The great thing is you get to decide what is best for you and your family.
- Choose your method- there are many teaching methods so prepare to do a little more research if you are not sure which method will be best for you and most importantly ….your child. What do you want your child to learn? How involved do you want to be in teaching……you may need to test a few methods to find the right fit for your child since each child learns differently.
Now you have a step by step list to get you ready for the new homeschool year. If you are looking for a roadmap to take control of your child’s education and leave a lasting legacy click here ( https://www.myhomeschoolroadmap.com/)